Last Saturday, I published the results of the usability testing in Kuopio in the newfound Quiz Usability portal. It is quite an extensive bunch of documents so there have not been too many comments about it yet. We also got into discussions with Tim Hunt last week and he requested further comments from the community about including it in Moodle 2.0.
Updates from August, 2008
I went to Kuopio on Tuesday, and during Wednesday and Thursday ran usability tests with 7 participants in total. I am in the process of making conclusions from the results, and will publish the results and an executive summary in the Docs as soon as possible.
After making the changes to the UI suggested by the testing, the official Kesäkoodi portion of the project is starting to be done and successful.
Then, there are still some finishing touches the application needs (CSS for IE and other browsers, further tooltips, question bank integration controls, further feedback for different editing operations), but those will be completed during and after September. Also, much integration work – moving CSS to Moodle 2.0 themes, discussion about the general library changes I have made – will need to take place as soon as Tim Hunt, the Quiz coordinator gets settled in to Moodle HQ (Perth, Australia) where he has recently moved.
The community feedback has been good, and Moodle 2.0 launch is planned for the end of the year (last time I heard). I will probably be participating in Openmind 2008 to present the results of this project via video conferencing from France.
From the forums:
The reorder tab is now functionally complete: Even though the repaginating is hidden, it also works ok server-side, but as I am making it an YUI dialog, that dialog is still missing.
There is a lot to discuss still, especially code-wise but also in terms of the UI, but it works now pretty well. Please test it out, and try to break it so we can iron bugs out at this point.
A particular question is whether sending questions to a specific pages should be a separate input field/submit button pair, at this point it is combined with “reorder questions” submit button, which also reorders the questions according to the numbering the user has given.
Also, 6 test subjects have been confirmed from the University of Kuopio to participate in tests next week, on Wednesday and Thursday. :)
Just published the current version with a reordering tab pretty finished HTML/CSS-wise (which, again, was surprisingly lot of work) but not much functionality there yet.
As a result of a change of plans, I started to implement the reordering tab last week. That is: I decided to implement all the functionality before doing usability testing with the actual application. This was due to the fact that it was not easy enough to get teachers as usability test subjects during July. Instead of hunting, I decided to put my energy into implementation.
Thus, the question ordering/paging tab is well underway and will, if all goes well, be finished by next week.
The feedback from the Moodle community about the demo published last week has been very positive, though I have gotten some very interesting development ideas, too. So that is something to be glad about! :)